Frequently Asked Questions

My Child in School

What happens if my child is ill in school?

If your child is ill he/she should report this to their classroom teacher or Progress Manager, who will assess the situation and decide whether to contact a parent/carer.
If it is felt that a student need to go home, you will be contacted by telephone and arrangements will be made to ensure that your child gets home safely.

Please note: It is the school that will decide whether or not a student is too ill to remain on site. Students should not make contact themselves with parents/carers, e.g. by mobile phone, to arrange to go home without explicit permission from the school. It is vital that we are aware of the whereabouts of each student and therefore students must not go home without our permission. We cannot send a student home to an empty house. We must ensure that there is a responsible adult present to look after the student.

What happens if my child is injured in school?

We have a number of trained first aiders in school and they will be called out to make an initial assessment of and injured person. They will give appropriate first aid treatment and make a decision as to whether or not it is necessary to call for an ambulance.

At the same time, we will be making every effort to contact a named person to inform them of the situation Should a student need to be taken to hospital we will ensure that he/she has a responsible adult with them until a parent/carer is able to be present.

There may be a delay in treating a young person at hospital should we be unable to contact you. It is therefore very important that you inform us of any change of contact details as soon as is possible and also that we are made aware of any medical condition that might affect the manner in which a young person is medically treated.

What should I do if I think that my child is being bullied in school?

If you feel that your child is being bullied please speak to him/her to see if they will give you details of what is happening. Knowing these details will help us to start the process of resolving the situation.
However, we do recognise that sometimes young people are reluctant to tell you if something such as this is going on in their lives.


It may be as simple as a comment or as dangerous as a physical attack.

The following forms of behaviour are examples of bullying and are not acceptable at Coundon Court:
Physically threatening or attacking others Calling people names Pressuring others to break school rules Teasing others in a manner that can emotionally hurt Winding people up so that they can no longer stand it Spreading rumours Taking money, equipment or other possessions without proper permission Picking on others because they are different Deliberately isolating others Threatening via e-mail/text messages
All of the above plus other examples of bullying will be dealt with by staff. On most occasions parents will be contacted and brought into school. If you believe that bullying has taken please do contact the appropriate Progress Manager in school in the first instance. We will treat the matter sensitively and confidentially and make every effort to work with you to resolve the matter. The important thing is that you bring this matter to our attention, as bullying most often takes place at times when there is not a member of staff around to spot what is happening.

Remember – bullies can only thrive on silence. Speak up! Let's make this school a bully-free zone. has information on what bullying is and guidance on how to spot signs of bullying, which you may find of some use.

How do I help Coundon Court support my child's learning?

Your support for your child's education is crucial to their progress. Please tell us if there are any adjustments we need to make to help you support your child, for example: Letters in large font Letters in different languages Wheelchair accessExplaining things over the phone A discussion with a school colleague of the same gender

How should I help my child with their homework?

Below is some general advice - all students are different and therefore they will need different strategies. Talk with us and your child about homework. Make sure you know the purpose of the homework assignments, how long they should take, and how the teacher wants you to be involved in helping your son/daughter complete them. Agree with your child on a set time to do homework every day. Make sure that they have a consistent, well-lit, fairly quiet place to study and do homework. Encourage them to study at a desk or table rather than on the floor or in an easy chair. Discourage distractions such as TV or calls from friends. Make sure the materials needed to do assignments—papers, books, pencils, a dictionary, encyclopedia, computer—are available. Show them how to use reference books or computer programs and appropriate websites. Ask them to let you know if special materials are needed and have them ready in advance. When your child asks for help, provide guidance, not answers. Doing their assignments for them won’t help them to understand the topic and how to use information they are given for the assignment in their answers; nor help them to become confident in their own abilities. If you are unable to help your child with a subject, perhaps you might be able to ask for help from a relative or friend. Also see if the school, library or a community or a religious organisation can provide tutoring or homework help. Check to see that your child has done all the work assigned. Watch for signs of frustration or failure. Let them take a short break if your son/daughter is having trouble keeping their mind on an assignment. Reward progress. If your child has been successful in completing an assignment and is working hard, celebrate with a them in an appropriate way; one that is in proporotion to the level of success achieved. Read the teacher’s comments on assignments that are returned. If a problem comes up, make contact with the teacher and work out a plan and a schedule to solve it.

How do I find out what progress my child is making in school?

We greatly value your input with regard to student progress. We have an evening for each of the years in the school during the school year and progress reviews are sent home each term; giving parents a subject by subject breakdown of progress. Should you have any concerns at other times please contact the school. If the concern is a general one please make contact with the relevant Head of Year. If the concern is about a specific subject please make contact by telephone or email with the member of staff who teaches your son/daughter or the Head of Department/Faculty. Details of who holds these positions can be found in the contacts section of this website. To contact the school please either: Telephone reception on 024 7633 5121 and ask to be put through to the member of staff concerned, or Email via - stating clearly who the message is to be forwarded to and we will do the rest! Please remember that Directors of Phase, Progress Managers and Faculty Heads have timetables that they all follow when you telephone and we might have to ask that the member of staff returns your call as soon as possible. We very much welcome parents/carers coming into school to discuss their child's progress, but, for the same reason, it would be very helpful to us if you will contact the school before coming on site in order that we can arrange a multually convenient time for the meeting. Emails directly to staff are sometime a quicker way of initiating contact. They can be followed by a meeting, if required. You will be able to see details regarding your child's progress, attendance, etc., by downloading the "Edulink" app to your device. Contact the school should you need your login details sent to you.

Student Absence from School

How do I report my child's absence?

If your son/daughter is absent from school for any reason, or going to be late, then please report this early on the first day of absence; preferably before 9.30am. Please make initial contact using one of the following methods: Email the school: Telephone the school: 024 7633 5121 and press 1 for Student Services. Leave a message stating clearly your child's name and year group. Text the school on 07624808638 - stating the student's name- Year Group and reason for absence. Via Edulink or MyEd to Mrs C Bartlett Please report the absence each day that your child is away from school Please also confirm the length of absence on his/her return to school via a note to his/her Tutor. If absence from school persists a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) may be issued or parents may be placed on a Parental Contract. In some cases, parents can face a criminal charge for failing to ensure their children attends school. Thank you for your co-operation.

Can I take my child on holiday during term time?

Recent rule changes by the Department for Education have made it harder for you to gain permission to take your child out of school during term time. We are only able to authorise absence in "exceptional circumstances"; being restricted to abences for events such as funerals of family members. Parents and carers are legally responsible for ensuring their children attend school (other than Home Schooling). Failure to do so is an offence and parents have no legal right to take their child out of school during term time for holidays. We recognise that it is often expensive to take a holiday during school breaks. However, it is important that parents carefully consider the implications of taking their child out of school during term time. Research suggests that children who are taken out of school may never catch up on the course work they have missed. This may affect test results and can be particularly harmful if the child is studying for final year examinations. Children who struggle with English or Mathematics may also find it even harder to cope when they return to school, while younger children may find it difficult to renew friendships with their classmates.

What happens if my child will be absent for some time due to illness or injury?

Please keep us informed and we will ensure that an appropriate plan is created to support the needs of your child. This maybe through blended home learning with some onsite school support or through home learning depending on the situation. Please discuss this with the Phase and Progress Managers that work with your child's year group. If your child is in hospital we will liaise with the Hospital School to ensure that work is provided and marked. We will also make proper arrangements for the reintegration of your child into school when he/she is able to return.

Have another question? Contact us and we will get in touch.